US President Donald Trump tweeted Wednesday that he has ordered new sanctions on Iran
. It wasn’t immediately clear whom the sanctions would apply to, but Trump has said the penalties that have crippled Tehran’s economy since May 2018 would “substantially increase.”
US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo will arrive in Jeddah, Saudi Arabia, on Wednesday for meetings with officials, including Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman, to discuss a response to Saturday’s attack.
US officials have held Iran responsible for the incident that initially roiled global energy markets
, dismissing claims of responsibility by Yemen’s Houthi rebels.
In an official note to the US sent through the Swiss embassy Monday, Iran said any military action against the country would draw an “immediate” response from Tehran, Iran’s semi-official Tasnim news reported Wednesday.
Rouhani may also cancel his appearance at the United Nations General Assembly later this month. Tehran has said its delegation could call off a trip to New York if the US does not issue visas for his delegation “in the next few hours,” Iran’s state-run ISNA news reported Wednesday afternoon.
Iranian Foreign Minister Javad Zarif was due to fly to New York on Friday morning, and Rouhani on Monday.
“The Iranian delegation, which was due to travel to New York to prepare for Rouhani’s visit to attend the UN General Assembly, has not been able to obtain visas until now,” IRNA said.
State media blamed the Trump administration for the delays.
On Sunday evening, Trump tweeted that the US
was “locked and loaded” to respond to the attack. On Monday, Pentagon officials were ordered to plan potential responses to the attack, administration officials and sources familiar with their thinking tell CNN
. But sources said the White House is waiting for the kingdom’s rulers before charting a path forward.
Trump has yet to definitely state that Iran was behind the weekend attack, but others in his administration, including Pompeo, have pinned the blame on Tehran.
The Saudi Defense Ministry has displayed photographs of Iranian weapons it says were used in the weekend attacks, according to Saudi state-run al-Ekhbariya Television.
Saudi Defense Ministry spokesman Lt. Col. Turki al Malki is expected to hold a press conference in Riyadh on Wednesday to show “strong evidence” that Iran is behind the attacks, according to al-Ekhbariya.
The attack knocked out almost half of Saudi Arabia’s oil capacity
and caused prices to skyrocket immediately after the incident. Saudi Arabia’s Energy Minister Prince Abdulaziz bin Salman said the kingdom would aim to ramp up oil and gas production as fast as possible.
“We will try to bring the capability within the kingdom to 11 million barrels of oil per day by the end of September, and to 12 million by the end of November,” the minister said in a news conference on Tuesday night.
Gas and oil production accounts for nearly half of Saudi Arabia’s GDP. The Abqaiq facility, one of the main targets of Saturday’s attack, is the world’s largest oil-processing facility.
On Wednesday, Rouhani defended Yemen’s right to respond to Saudi attacks on the country and said Saturday’s attack should be considered a “warning” by Yemen’s Houthi rebels.
More than 91,000 people have been killed in Yemen’s war since 2015, according to the Armed Conflict Location and Even Data Project. The war in the country has pitted a Saudi-led coaition against Iran-backed Houthi rebels. Saudi-led coalition airstrikes account for around 67% of all reported civilian fatalities, according to the same database
Saudi Arabia has so far stopped short of of blaming Iran for conducting the attacks, highlighting instead that the weapons were “Iranian-made” and offering evidence to show that the strikes were unlikely to have been launched in Yemen.
In a statement Wednesday, Saudi Arabia’s Ministry of Foreign Affairs said the weapons used in the attack were “Iranian.” Investigations were “ongoing to determine the source of the attack.”
Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman has not named Iran as the culprit but appeared to be calling for an international response to the incident.
According to Saudi Arabia’s official news agency, bin Salman said the attacks were a “true test of the international will to face these sabotage attacks that threaten global stability and security.” The remarks were made in a phone call with South Korean President Moon Jae-in, according to the Saudi Press Agency.
Saudi and US investigators have determined “with very high probability”
that the weekend attack on the Saudi oil industry was launched from a base in Iran close to the border with Iraq, a source familiar with the investigations told CNN Tuesday.